Ukraine provided a significant body of evidence on the case Ukraine v. Russia No. 20958/14
Ukraine provided its comments on the case Ukraine v. Russia No. 20958/14 in response to the argument of the RF.
In support of its claim, Ukraine provided a significant body of evidence, including:
- evidence of Russia's preparations for aggression against Ukraine at least 2013;
- files that demonstrate the organization of pro-Russian rallies in the territory of the Crimea by the RF;
- files on the hidden military buildup by the RF by increasing the numerical strength of the Russian Black Sea Fleet and military armaments, including the transfer of units not covered by the conditions of agreements as to the Russian Black Sea Fleet's basing on the territory of Ukraine;
Note: it was established that during the seizure of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea by Russia, more than 10,000 personnel were transferred there. In particular, as of 01 January 2014, there were 10,936 Russian servicemen on the peninsula, and as of 18 March 2014 - more than 22,000 servicemen. The increase in the military involvement of the Russian Federation was carried out by air (IL-76, AN-124 aircraft) and sea (Large Landing Ships (LLS) of the Black Sea Fleet, the Northern Fleet and the Baltic Fleet of the RF). The forces for the seizure of Crimea consisted of the 810th Separate Marine Brigade of the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation and separate units of the RF Armed Forces, whose stay on the territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea is prohibited.
- information on illegal crossing of the state border of Ukraine by personnel and military equipment of the Russian Federation;
- data on the blocking of transport communications and connections of the Crimean Peninsula with mainland Ukraine by Russian units since the end of February 2014;
- detailed information with evidence of blocking and seizure of military facilities and government agencies by units of the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation and special units of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation since the 20th- of February 2014;
- data on the RF officials, who directly coordinated the actions of Russian military units to seize military facilities and state institutions of Ukraine in Crimea, including:
- Army General Shoygu, S.K., Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation, General of the Army;
- Pankov, N.A. and Bulgakov, D.V., Deputy Ministers of Defence of the Russian Federation;
- General of the Army Gerasimov, V.V., Chief of the General Staff of the RF Armed Forces – First Deputy Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation;
- Vice-Admiral of the Russian Federation Fedotenkov, A.N., Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Navy of the RF Armed Forces;
- Lieutenant General Turchenyuk, I.N., Deputy Commander of the Southern Military Command of the RF Armed Forces;
- Admiral Vitko A.V., Commander of the Black Sea Fleet of the RF Armed Forces;
- Major General Ostrikov A.L., Chief of the Coastal Troops BSF troops of the Black Sea Fleet of the RF;
- testimony of eyewitnesses of the occupation of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol by the RF in February-March 2014 (in particular, regarding the seizure of military units, persecution of pro-Ukrainian activists) and of persons captured and tortured by members of Russian intelligence services (50 witnesses);
Note: up to 40 people were held captive by the so-called "self-defense" forces and the Russian military servicemen. Main places of detention and torture: the premises of Republican Military Commissariat (Simferopol), which was seized on 8 March 2014, and premises of military prison of the Black Sea Fleet of the RF (Sevastopol)
- photo and video files, which directly recorded facts of occupation the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol by the RF;
- detailed course of events of seizure of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol and seizure of military and civilian facilities by the RF.
On May 9, 2018, the ECHR decided to transfer the inter-State cases of Ukraine v. Russia to the Grand Chamber.